Good afternoon, readers.
DART today announced the expansion of service on Route 7 to Altoona as part of the service changes that take effect Sunday, February 6.
DART expands service to Altoona starting Sunday
The Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority is expanding midday and weekend service to Altoona as part of the service changes that go into effect Sunday, February 6.
The existing Route 7, which serves the south and east sides of Des Moines, will be extended from East 29th Street in Des Moines to the Wal-Mart in Altoona. In addition, frequency will be improved from 60- minute to 30-minute headways for the entire route including the south side of Des Moines during the midday, with 15- to 20-minute headways during peak hours. The expansion includes service on weekends, with 60-minute headways all day.
“We are incredibly pleased to be filling a need for more service in Altoona,” said Angela Connolly, Polk County Supervisor and Chair of the DART Commission. “By adding service in the middle of the day and on weekends, we will make it far more convenient for Altoona residents to get to and from their jobs. Plus the service will bring a lot of customers into the city to shop at Altoona businesses. We expect significant gains in ridership.”
Altoona will continue to be served by the Route 99 Altoona Express. The expansion of Route 7 was made possible with federal grant money awarded to DART in 2009 through Iowa’s Clean Air Attainment Program.
Other changes that take effect February 6th include:
- Route 1 – Passengers will be able to transfer between Route 1 and the newly extended Route 7 at Hubbell Avenue and East 42nd Street, instead of downtown, during the daytime.
- The LINK – Routes A and B of the LINK, which serves the Center Street Park and Ride, will be combined into a single, centralized route that runs from 5:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. with 15-minute service.
- Regional On-Call – Regional On-Call service will be restructured to a reservation-basis only, with no time points, which will allow passengers more flexibility in scheduling curb-to-curb trips within each zone. On-Call service operates from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Mondays – Alleman, Bondurant and Mitchellville
- Wednesdays – Granger, Grimes and Polk City
- Thursdays and Fridays – Carlisle and Easter Lake